Categories
World News

Denver hit with another federal lawsuit over police handling of George Floyd protests – The Denver Post

Denver was hit with another federal lawsuit Wednesday over its aggressive police response to the George Floyd protests last month.

The class-action lawsuit, which seeks damages for those arrested for curfew violations or who were injured during the demonstrations, alleges that police used “constitutionally unlawful crowd control tactics, including kettling (also known as containment or corralling), indiscriminate and unwarned launching of tear gas and flashbangs into crowds and at individuals, and shooting projectiles at protestors,” the complaint reads.

Police “knowingly placed these protesters in physical danger through indiscriminate use of excessive force,” according to the lawsuit.

Officers used less-lethal weapons “indiscriminately and without warning, even at times when the crowd was merely chanting, kneeling or standing with their hands up,” according to the complaint.

The lawsuit also alleges that Mayor Michael Hancock’s emergency curfew — imposed from May 30 to June 4 — was unconstitutional and infringed on protesters’ First Amendment rights.

“As if to prove the point of the protests themselves – the discriminatory policing against people of color – the targets of these police attacks ‘included many young Black and Brown people,’ ” Loevy & Loevy Attorneys at Law, the firm representing the plaintiffs, said in a news release.

The named plaintiffs include a freelance photojournalist, a lawyer, a union organizer, a software engineer, a juvenile justice advocate, a small business owner and a veteran.

Wednesday’s lawsuit marks the latest legal action against Denver for its police response to the protests, which began in late May after Floyd, a Black man, was killed after a Minneapolis police officer knelt on his neck for early nine minutes.

The ACLU of Colorado last week filed a federal lawsuit against the department on behalf of Black Lives Matter 5280, among others, claiming the police department’s tactics were used to “corral, intimidate and silence protesters.”

Last week, the city also settled a lawsuit filed by four protesters who sued over the police department’s use of force. Earlier in June, as part of that lawsuit, a federal judge in Denver ordered police to limit firing tear gas and projectiles at peaceful protesters, saying that protecting First Amendment rights was more important than protecting buildings.

Source: Read Full Article

Categories
World News

India NLC power plant hit by second fatal explosion in two months

The government-run NLC power plant in Tamil Nadu state’s Cuddalore district suffers second blast in two months.

A blast at a power plant in the southern Indian state of Tamil Nadu’s Cuddalore district has killed at least six people, an official from the state-run company and local police said, the second deadly boiler explosion in two months.

“Six people died on the spot,” said S Latha, inspector at a local police station in Neyveli, adding that the incident in May killed five and injured three at the plant run by lignite miner and electricity generator NLC.

The incident occurred at unit V of NLC Power Plant II, a company official said, adding that the unit was under shutdown when the mishap happened. The accident in May occurred in unit VI of the same company.

“The boiler was not in operation. We are investigating the incident. There was an explosion followed by a fire that injured the workers and contractual labourers,” company spokesman Guru Swaminathan told DPA news. 

Major blast in Stage -2 of the #Neyveli lignite plant.
Unit 5 in the Neyveli lignite plant has exploded.

Sources say atleast 17 injured many are struck inside the unit 2,Casualties feared. Rescue operations is underway. pic.twitter.com/06xX09HHMI

The explosion injured 17 people, 16 of whom have been sent to a private hospital in the state capital of Chennai for treatment, while one person is being treated at a local hospital in Neyveli, a company official said.

According to local media outlet The Hindu, 11 were critically injured, with burns to more than 40 percent of their bodies.

“Pained to hear about the blast in Neyveli power plant boiler in Tamil Nadu,” India’s Coal Minister Pralhad Joshi said in a tweet on Wednesday.

Pained to hear about the blast in Neyveli power plant boiler in Tamil Nadu. I am informed that the administration is providing all help possible. My condolences with the bereaved families.

At least three people die, and more than 46 are injured each day in industrial accidents in India, government data for the three years ending 2016 show.

NLC has a power generation capacity of more than 6,000 megawatts. The company employs 26,000 people, including 14,000 contractual workers.

The state of Tamil Nadu, where the NLC India plant is located, is the third-worst state in the country to be a worker, the data showed, and is preceded by other top industrial states such as Maharashtra and Gujarat.

Accidents and fires are fairly common at Indian factories, where safety standards are often disregarded.

On Tuesday, two workers were killed and four more were hospitalised after a gas leak at a pharmaceutical plant in India’s southern state of Andhra Pradesh.

In May, at least 12 people were killed by a massive gas leak at a chemical plant run by South Korean firm LG Chem in Andhra Pradesh state.

Source: Read Full Article

Categories
World News

US states hit pause on coronavirus reopening: Live updates

Bars, beaches, cinemas closed again in some US states as spike in cases underlines challenge of containing virus.

Hello and welcome to Al Jazeera’s continuing coverage of the coronavirus pandemic. I’m Kate Mayberry in Kuala Lumpur.

  • World Health Organization chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus has warned the pandemic is “not even close to being over” and that while there had been some progress initially, the pandemic was “actually speeding up”. 
  • States in the US are pausing reopening plans amid a surge in coronavirus cases and hospitalisations. Among the states stepping back is California, which reported a record surge in COVID-19. 
  • More than 10.2 million people around the world have now been diagnosed with the coronavirus and more than 504,000 have died, according to Johns Hopkins University. 

Here are the latest updates.

Tuesday, June 30

02:45 GMT – Los Angeles officials warn hospitals could be overwhelmed

Los Angeles is becoming the new coronavirus hotspot in the US.

California announced a record jump of 7,418 new cases on Monday with the number in LA, the second-biggest city in the US, exceeding more than 100,000 despite strict curbs on nightlife and a requirement to wear masks in all public areas.

“The alarming increase in cases, positivity rates and hospitalisations signals that we, as a community, need to take immediate action to slow the spread of COVID-19,” Barbara Ferrer, director of public health for Los Angeles County, said in a statement.

“Otherwise, we are quickly moving toward overwhelming our healthcare system and seeing even more devastating illness and death.”

02:30 GMT – South Australia cancels plan to reopen domestic borders

The state of South Australia has cancelled plans to reopen its borders to interstate travellers from neighbouring Victoria after a spike in coronavirus cases there.

Restrictions were supposed to be removed on July 20.

Victoria reported 75 new cases of coronavirus on Monday. It has yet to release numbers for Tuesday.

02:00 GMT – India’s first COVID-19 vaccine approved for human trials

Bharat Biotech’s COVID-19 vaccine has secured regulatory approval for human trials.

Phase I and II clinical trials for Covaxin, India’s first domestic candidate for a vaccine, will begin in July.  

00:55 GMT – Los Angeles to close beaches for July 4 holiday weekend

Los Angeles is to close its beaches for the July 4 holiday weekend after reporting a record one-day rise in cases.

People usually flock to the seaside during the holiday, which marks US Independence Day.

Officials said it was too much of a risk allowing the beaches to remain open. 

23:30 GMT – Researchers find new swine flu with pandemic potential 

Researchers have discovered a new type of swine flu that has the potential to cause a pandemic, according to a study published in the US science journal PNAS.

The G4 flu is genetically descended from the H1N1 strain that was behind the pandemic in 2009.

G4 has “all the essential hallmarks of being highly adapted to infect humans,” the researchers wrote.

They added that the G4 type was already predominant in pigs and that control of the infection in pigs and close monitoring of people working with the animals should be “urgently implemented”.

The peer-reviewed study was authored by academics at the China Agricultural University, Shandong Agricultural University, Chinese Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Chinese Academy of Sciences, and the University of Nottingham. 

Read more on their findings here. 

Source: Al Jazeera 

 

Read the updates from yesterday (June 29) here.

Source: Read Full Article